Sunday, April 19, 2015

Iowa High Performance 2015

It’s almost summer and you know what that means… High Performance time! Tryouts are over and results are going to be posted this week. Every year it amazes me how much volleyball talent we have in Iowa, both girls and guys. I think a little over 400 athletes tried out for HP camp this year. It was really cool to see a lot of guys at the tryouts I went to, men's volleyball is growing as a sport and that is exciting! The next step is to get it at the high school level. I’m getting off topic but it is always awesome to see that more guys are trying this awesome sport. Anyway HP this year is going to be a blast, we are hosting the tournament for the second time in 4 years in Des Moines, Iowa. Last year it was in Tulsa, Oklahoma and the year before that Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

The first year I made an HP team the HPC’s (High Performance Championships) were in Des Moines. It was an incredible experience. Teams from all over the world, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Brazil, and Hawaii came and competed in both women's and men's. Being surrounded with people from all over that share the same love for volleyball as you is an indescribable feeling. My favorite part about that year was a picnic we held that all of the teams came to and we got to talk to each team, learning some things about where they came from and if they had liked there stay in Iowa so far. We learned a dance from some girls in Hawaii and got a group picture with all of us in front of the Old Capital.

                
This year if I make a team and get the privilege to play in Des Moines again I will be pumped. Last year my team won a silver medal in Oklahoma, so I really want to win gold this year. It will also be a chance to meet new people and since it is only 2 hours away from home my family and friends can come watch. 

Word Count: 357

No comments:

Post a Comment